Aussies are pissed
South African rugby officials defended today the selection of a weakened squad to meet Australia and New Zealand in the next Tri-Nations games .
Australia and New Zealand have criticised South Africa's decision to omit 20 frontline players for the games in Sydney on July 7 and Christchurch a week later. A statement from the South African Rugby Union (Saru) said nine players had been injured in the opening matches against Australia and New Zealand. South Africa beat Australia 22-19 before losing 26-21 to World Cup favourites New Zealand.
"A large number of players were extremely exhausted as a result of a demanding five-week period of test match rugby and an equally demanding Super 14 competition," it said. "A total of nine players are now injured following the New Zealand and Australian matches and, given the status of these coupled with the fatigue of others, it would not have been advisable for management to allow these players to travel to Australasia."
We are not going to beat the all blacks in their home turf so we might as well keep our guys fit for the world cup.
South African Rugby homepage