South African Rugby

Saturday, December 01, 2007

22-5 to the Barbarians !

The boks lost on Saturday with a 22-5 defeat to the Barbarians .The Springboks fielded several top players against the invitational side at Twickenham, including Francois Steyn, Schalk Burger and Bryan Habana but maybe the thought they had already won the game before they got on the field.

The barbarians played one of the better games I have seen for the last couple of years.
Australia's Matt Giteau and retired Wales’s flanker Martyn Williams scored in the first half, with Rocky Elsom adding a third score in the second. Barend Pieterse got South Africa's try in the 35th minute, and his team was denied another touchdown by some amazing defence late in the second half.

The Barbarians fielded a really strong side, starting with six past and present All Blacks and Jason Robinson who was playing his last game

"I didn't know at the start if I'd be able to play," Robinson said "I'm feeling a bit stiff. In the second half, I got a bit of cramp, but who cares now?

We were never in the game,the Barbarians played some amazing running rugby and made sure we did not come back at the end.



South Africa Rugby homepage

3 Comments:

At 10:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this game showed the lack of class in Habana... he was totally outplayed. Better find a better winger if you get a tougher draw next time in the world cup.

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I was at the match in Twickenham and it was quite clear that the Springboks didn't want to even be ther. Their minds were already on the plane back home. In fact when an SAA plane flew over the stadium they al
l looked up at it for just a bit too long for my liking. I paid nearly £300 for ticketrs for myself and my brother and you would have expected a better performance especially as they had just been crowned world champions!

 
At 4:46 pm, Blogger Blogster said...

That does suck that you paid 300 pounds for a game ,like you say the boks were only there to pick up the cheque.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add your Rugby URL here for free -